THE CHURCH OF SS. TOMMASO AND PROSPERO
The Church of SS. Tommaso and Prospero is the oldest in Certaldo and was built next to the Palazzo Pretorio. In 1788, the church was deconsecrated, abandoned and then rented out to a pottery merchant. Only at the beginning of the 20thC was the church purchased by the Town Hall and renovations were conducted of the building and its frescoes.
The church houses the splendid fresco of the “Tabernacolo dei Giustiziati” (Tabernacle of the Executed) attributed to the famous 15thC Florentine painter Benozzo Gozzoli. The tabernacle, originally located in a small chapel along the river, was moved here to preserve the frescoes from the exposure to external weather conditions.