IL TABERNACOLO DEI GIUSTIZIATI (Tabernacle of the Executed)
During Certaldo’s Vicariate era, the tabernacle was the place where those who were sentenced to death found their last spiritual comfort before execution. It was at this tabernacle, the sentenced prayed with the hopes to obtain full redemption for their sins.
The tabernacle decorations were commissioned to Benozzo Gozzoli between 1464-1465. Benozzo designed the project and began to paint the fresco but then left his collaborators to complete the commission.
The original tabernacle is still visible along the Agliena river in the lower part of Certaldo.